Saturday, May 27, 2023

DECORATION DAY

                                   

Photo by Chris 1974

Decoration Day, now called Memorial Day, is a day to decorate the graves of our fallen U.S. military heroes.  A federal holiday, it is celebrated  on the last Monday of May. Many events are planned each year.  In Spokane there are a number to attend. Here is the link to the story in the Spokesman Review.

One year, after my dad passed, daughter Heather and son-in-law Jessie drove to the military cemetery to check out the head stone and to leave a flower. Unbeknownst to them my bother Wayne and his wife Mary drove out also. 


A North Carolinian high school classmate decorated the grave of my brother when she discovered his grave was in the same cemetery as her husband's grandparents. Jay was in the Army for 4 years. 


 One family friend,Nan, faithfully visited the graves of loved ones on Memorial Day.


Dave, Nora, Nan 1995

I say a great big--"Thank you for your service" to every veteran.

Psalm 144: 1 Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;



No comments:

Post a Comment