Tuesday, May 9, 2023

BIRTHDAY CAKES AND YOU AND ME



I was very pleased with the cake my mom made me for my 5th birthday.
 

One time when my cousin Dorothy and I were teens, and visiting our grandparents on their farm in Eastern Washington, we found a cake mix in their kitchen and whipped up a cake.  Can't remember if we baked it in the wood stove oven or not. Maybe they had an electric stove by then. Grandma remarked, "Who is having a birthday?" Apparently ingredients were so scare in the past that cakes were only made for birthdays.

Growing up we made an effort to celebrate birthdays with a cake. Because my birthday was in the summer after school was out I didn't always get a cake.  Some summers we waited to celebrate my birthday until we arrived in Spokane after driving from Virginia to Washington. My Aunt Jeanne or Aunt Evelyn would provide a cake.  

Now we have some wonderful creative cake bakers in our family.  We have celebrated lots of birthdays with amazing cakes. 



This cake may have used 3 cake mixes.


Volcano cake by Chris.

Cake with raspberries.


Sponge cake.


Samantha trying to climb up the cupboard to get the Happy Birthday Jesus cake.


Chocolate cupcakes.

Lots of candles.


Cake by Jessica.


Cake by Jessica.


Cake for Chris.


By Samantha.


Cake for ?


By Jessica.


By Jessica.


Some of us like to shop at Walmart. Cake by Samantha.


Cake by Sabrina.


Rocky road cake by Samantha.


Tier cake by Samantha.


Cake by Jessica.


Cake by Jessica.


Chocolate ganoche cake by Samantha.

Many people would choose ice-cream over cake.  Our son Jes likes pie for his birthday.  My brother Wayne prefers bread pudding.  What do you like for your birthday? 

Ecclesiastes 5:18  Behold, what I have seen to be good and fitting is to eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the toil with which one toils under the sun the few days of his life that God has given him, for this is his lot. 






No comments:

Post a Comment