Monday, September 27, 2021

MY FIRST JOB

 


Me with Davy 1953


When my mom was pregnant with me she wanted a boy.  Here is the telegram my dad sent to his parents:


But soon after my birth my mom was glad I was a girl.  She began to make plans for me.  Unfortunately I decided I wanted to be a boy.  My older brother, Jay, being the first born grandchild, was fawned over by the entire family, and became the center of attention.  I wanted to have the same status.  So I wore Jay's hand me downs and refused to wear girl's clothes.  If he went shirtless I went shirtless.  Being the smart woman my mom was she signed me up for dance lessons.  Maybe it was the costumes--  but finally I embraced being a girl

 

I'm third from the left



I was eight when Davy was born.  My mom put this eight pound, red haired, blue eyed little human into my arms.  I was his babysitter from then until I was 15.  When Wayne was born Mom put this 9 pound, light brown haired, blue eyed, hunk of humanity into Evy's arms.  Mom was glad she had girls.  She said she could have never brought the boys up without the girls help.



Evy standing guard duty for Wayne


One time, when babysitting, I had allowed Davy and Wayne the freedom to take apart the Baby Ben Alarm Clock. Because of my "anything goes attitude" when I babysat, I lost that job.  I was no longer asked to babysit my brothers.  At that point Evy took over the babysitting. I babysat for a few neighbors successfully as none complained.

At eighteen it was time to get a job to help pay for college.  After some lame attempts on my part at the local library to seek employment Mom decided I should go to Massanetta Resort Church Retreat https://massanettasprings.org/and work for tips.  I had the choice to wait on tables or to clean rooms.  Now as I look back I should have chosen to clean rooms as I was a lousy waitress.  Who knew that people needed their coffee as soon as they sat down at the table!

What was your first job?

Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,


No comments:

Post a Comment