Thursday, October 7, 2021

THE WIND

 

Cousins visiting us on our H.R 39' Chula Vista, CA photo by Ron

I don't understand the wind.  Many years ago when Chris and I sailed our 21' sailboat on Coeur d' alene Lake, I learned the wind is unpredictable.  As we sailed, Chris decided to go forward to adjust the spinnaker, jib, boom, or something.  He asked me to take the tiller.  Suddenly the wind came up and we accidentally jibbed not once, not twice, but three time.  Chris was almost knocked off the boat.  He accused me of doing that on purpose.  Of course I had no control over the wind.  The wind does whatever it wants to do.  We did have a telltale which showed the direction of the wind but it changed so quickly I couldn't keep track of it.

Many years later we moved to Western Washington.  We were able to purchase a 39' H.R. in the Seattle area where we kept it until we sailed to Mexico in 1997.  The picture above was taken on our trip south.


So this week in our Bible study at the apartment where we live now, we are studying the Holy Spirit.  One of my favorite verses is John 3:8 "The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”  


I don’t understand the wind at all.  It is reasonable to assume there would also be difficulty in understanding the Holy Spirit.  He comes to those who believe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment