Thursday, September 9, 2021

OVERCOMING OUR DNA

 


One year, when she was in high school, Heather was the art director for our Christmas card shoot.  She thought we were an eccentric family and tried to depict that in the picture.  She sported a cast as she had an inflamed metatarsal that wouldn't heal. In the picture Chris was attacking his computer, I was a strict teacher, and Jes was a wild soccer player.  The huge white bear had been a gift from Grandma and Grandpa to Jes.  Needless to say we didn't use the picture for our Christmas greeting that year.  No sense in advertising our failings! 

 Some of these quirks may have been caused because of our DNA.  I recently was gifted with a 23 and me DNA test kit.  It revealed some interesting results like-- no fear of heights, can taste bitter foods, like sweet more than salty foods, have freckles, and have blue or green eyes.  But it also revealed some not so good things-- tend to sweat during a workout, can develop bunions, about equal chances of being able or unable to match a musical pitch.

As I age I learn that many of my relatives have or are dealing with some strange physical things caused either by heredity or just the fallen nature of this world and our bodies.  As I started my lesson for Precepts Bible study in Mark I was delighted to read again that Jesus went about healing people as He was preaching in the synagogues.  So I'm looking forward to that day when He will be with us on earth. In Revelation 21:4 The Bible says,  "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” I'm looking forward to That Day--  I hope you are too.




No comments:

Post a Comment