Monday, April 5, 2021

IT'S APRIL AGAIN

 

Janet and Alf's wedding day

I felt depressed.  I couldn't figure why.  I survived my second covid vaccine.  I had food, clothing, shelter.  It was even sunny out.  I asked God to reveal to me why I was wallowing.  I thought maybe it was because I had read all of Tracie Peterson's books and that Roseanna White's new one would not be out until May.  Then I remembered-- my cousin Janet passed away 3 years ago on April 2. Her husband, Alf, passed away one year ago on April 2. I was mourning -- that's all.

The first time this strange depression set in was when my sister, Evy, passed away in January 1997.  For the next 5 Januarys I would become very sad for no reason.  Then I would remember that Evy had passed away in January.  


Evy's headstone

To cheer myself up I would go into the local drug stores or department stores and try on all the sample perfumes.  I would check out all the Mary Engelbright greeting cards wherever I could find them-- in toy shops, Hallmark stores, and stationary sections of various stores.  I would watch a bunch of movies.  One time I went to Elizabeth and Alexander's Tea Room (no longer exists) at The Country Village in Bothell, and ordered a huge breakfast. I also would listen to my favorite music.

How do you cheer yourself up if you have a time of sadness?

Proverbs 17: 22 A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment