Friday, March 12, 2021

MUSIC FUN

 

Back row-- Jack, Ruth, Brad, Evelyn,Wayne, Grace, Martha, Dave, Jay, Dorothy, Chris, me, Evy, Lou, Davy, Sue, Lane

Front row- -John, Diana, Mike, Sue, Tina, Mark, Jes, Heather/ Diana and Mike's wedding


"Now the sun is sinking
In the golden west;
Birds and bees and children
All have gone to rest:
And the merry streamlet,
As it runs along,
With a voice of sweetness
Sings its evening song."

I can hear Grandma's sweet voice as she sings while we drive into the sunset on our way home from Spokane.  Music was a comfort and a joy in our family.  Grandpa played the fiddle and the piano by ear.  Mom and Aunt Evelyn played piano and organ.  Aunt Ruth sang.  Uncle Jack sang, was a music teacher,  directed the church choir, played clarinet, and sax professionally.  Wayne played the baritone and bugle. Martha played piano and organ.  Jay played the sax.  Dorothy played the clarinet. Chris took an interest in playing flutes, guitars, ukuleles, harmonicas, and other small instruments. I sang in the church choir and in girls chorus in high school.  Evy played the clarinet. Lou sang in the church choir. Davy played oboe, clarinet, sax, flute, and bugle. John plays the trumpet. Diana plays clarinet and sings.  Mike sings. Sue dabbled in playing the bass. Tina took piano lessons. Mark played clarinet and was a professional drummer.  Jes was also a professional drummer, and Heather plays piano.

So whether we were amateurs, or received pay, we were a musical family. I'm looking forward to when we are all with Jesus singing worship songs to God.

Psalm 96:1 Oh sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth!


4 comments:

  1. So, dad played clarinet and sax professionally not trumpet. He was a school music teacher for years and years, sang wonderfully also and directed the church choir for many years. Mark and I both played clarinet for all through our school years, in fact I have played in the local community college for the last few years. Just a few corrections and additions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Davy-- yes, maybe someone can pin down some of the dates a little better. There are lots of things that come up and seem like memory snapshots and others are longer bits. Like when you asked about what musical instruments I played - There was one Christmas when the entire family got recorders. There was a soprano, an alto, a tenor and more. I think I played each, but can't remember when. At Bryant I took the saxophone, but it needed fixing so Evy
    let me use her clarinet. When the saxophone came back I played it. Then high school came along and the oboe.That lasted six years because two years at Cañada I was in the band and orchestra. The last year added English horn. The grades helped keep track of some of those, but things like Wayne starting a drum & bugle band I only remember the baritone horn, but not when. Lots of things like that I would like to fit together.

    ReplyDelete