Thursday, March 4, 2021

MASKS AND SOCIAL DISTANCING

Mary, Martha, Emily, Mary Anne, Grace, Jeanne, 1996

My Aunt Ruth said one time, when we were all young, "I'm glad we don't kiss and hug like some families do.  All that mushy stuff is very uncomfortable."  I chalk it up to the scientific mind.  She was an RN with a BS from Whitworth.  The rest of my family were scientists, mathematicians, or engineers, and didn't kiss or hug either.  My grandfather on my mother's side was an accountant for the city or county.  I'm not sure which one.  He worked at the Spokane court house. My grandfather on my father's side was Superintendent of the Post Office building in Spokane.  He grew award winning African Violets in his basement.

So this mask wearing and social distancing works very well for many of us.  We can avoid all the mushy stuff.  So, of the ladies in the picture above, my mom, aunts, and sisters-in-law, and cousin-in-law, I don't recall hugging any of them.  My Aunt Jeanne did kiss me on the cheek when I traveled to Spokane for my uncle's memorial service.


But my Aunt Ruth said in her later years, "I wish we did hug." As soon as this social distancing is over I plan to follow the example of my cousin Kit, my cousin Dorothy's daughter Cindy, and  my daughter-in-law Jessica, and begin hugging!

Romans 16:16 Holy hugs all around! All the churches of Christ send their warmest greetings!  The Message



No comments:

Post a Comment