Monday, July 23, 2018

FIVE LIES OF RACISM



In June of 1961 I was graduated from Groveton High School in Alexandria, VA.  In the fall of 1961 Groveton admitted the first black student, Rayfield Barber.  He was interviewed at the 1996 GHS reunion.  He had a good experience at Groveton. Click on the You Tube above to hear the 5 minute interview.

My parents set the example for our family--we treated everyone with respect.  When my youngest brother, Wayne, wanted his black friend to join his Cub Scout troop at Calvary Presbyterian his friend was not permitted to join.  I believe my dad quit that troop and joined another one where Wayne's friend was accepted.  Today Calvary is integrated.  See the picture below.



Below is a link to a video of a talk by Peter Hubbard, pastor of North Hills Church in Greenville, SC.  I thought he explained racism and a Christian approach very well.  My parents would agree with him.  The talk is about 40 minutes long. Click on the link to view.

https://northhillschurch.com/sermon/5-lies-of-racism/

No comments:

Post a Comment