Monday, April 29, 2013

Letter to my Mother/ Sister in the Lord



Titus 1:9–11

He must whold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in xsound6 doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.
10 For there are many who are insubordinate, yempty talkers and deceivers, especially those of zthe circumcision party.7 11 They must be silenced, since athey are upsetting whole families by teaching bfor shameful gain what they ought not to teach.




                                                            April 29, 2013



Dear Nan,

            I know you have a busy week this week but maybe by the end of it you will have time to read these print outs, and can comment on them.

I’m confused.  Henri Nouwen, a Catholic priest, he died I think in 1996, has many protestant pastors who are reading his books, and quoting him.    I notice that Chuck Colson's ministry--including the Breakpoint podcast I listen to--- quote Nouwen.  I sent them this website,
http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/nouwen.htm, and asked that since he was Catholic could he lead us astray because the Catholics believe we need Jesus plus works.  There is also Chesterton, who was Catholic and many Protestants quote him.  I remember that I was advised to not date a Catholic or I might marry one.  If we are not to marry a Catholic then why would we read what Catholics have written?  I'm praying that God will lead me.  I do believe that people who acknowledge Jesus as the only begotten son of God, who died for our sins, and rose again, are Christians, even if they add works, the Virgin Mary, etc.  I found this blog and discussion.  Maybe this would be helpful.  
http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blog/2010/09/give-rick-warren-a-break/

Also, Seattle Pacific University is affiliated with the Free Methodist Church.  Next to the campus is the First Free Methodist Church.  A couple of week ago they had a conference.  http://www.ericbarger.com/barger_notes_4-27-2013_UTT_broadcast.pdf This man I hear on radio attended the conference.  These are the notes he took.  What do you think?

Thanks so much for any input.  I talked to my pastor and the worship leader.  The pastor sees nothing wrong with Henri Nouwen’s writings.  The worship leader sees nothing wrong with the conference at the SPU church.  I’m leaving it all up to the Lord. 

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment