Friday, January 4, 2013

Children are a blessing from the Lord



 I was asked to do a devotional for a baby shower at our church on Sunday.  This is what I have so far:


Reading from Psalm 127: 3-5  Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward. 4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. 5 How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; They will not be ashamed When they speak with their enemies in the gate.


When I was eight years old my next to the youngest brother was born in Fairbanks, Alaska where my dad was Chief of the Weather Bureau.  Then we moved to Alexandria, Virginia where my youngest brother was born when I was thirteen.  My dad had been transferred to act as the assistant to the assistant chief of the Weather Bureau.  As the oldest girl I was expected to babysit, but when I was fifteen I ran out of energy.  I watched my two little brothers destroy a Baby Ben alarm clock.  My mom asked, "Weren’t you watching them?”  I said, “Yes. I watched them destroy the clock.”  From that time on my eleven-year-old sister took over the babysitting.  I never thought I would have children as I thought they were too much work.

But the Lord blessed me with two children in spite of myself.   I struggled to take good care of them.  I also had to take care of the home, to work outside the home, and to get together with friends and relatives and keep up relationships.  Lack of sleep got to me.  One day I cried out to the Lord and told Him I needed help.  That is when I began to study the Bible and joined a group for mothers of pre schoolers.  The moral and spiritual support I got in this group sustained me.  I began to picture my children as grown up responsible citizens living good lives.  I began praying for them with a Moms in Prayer group.  Oh sure I had to try different types of discipline and rewards.  I took them to church.  I read to them every night, and prayed with them.  They grew into responsible adults.  They are a blessing and my husband and I consider ourselves blessed.

And my little brothers were a big help with my parents when my parents got up into their 80’s.  My sister had passed away so I needed these brothers to help and they did.  My children were a great help too.  So children are a blessing in more ways than one.

Now we have a son-in-law and 3 grandchildren as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment