Sunday, September 1, 2024

BACK TO SCHOOL

 

Samantha and Natalie.  Photo by Heather. Year -- maybe 2015?

My grandchildren Samantha, Natalie, and Noah usually get new things for school.  They shop and plan for new backpacks, clothes, and supplies. Sometimes they shop for what they need from used things around the house.  (Natalie made me a birthday present by "borrowing" a frame from her mom's picture for a scene she made for me.)

In my day I did all my shopping at home.  Mostly I did this as I hate to shop.  So I would find pens, pencils, paper, and binders around the house that were in fairly good shape. Sometimes I'd borrow clothes from my sister.  I made do with what I could find.  I never thought of asking my parents for money or using my babysitting money to buy new things.  

When we were growing up in Virginia we would travel to Washington to visit the relatives each summer.  Our grandmother on our father’s side thought that she had to buy the five of us us new shoes at Berg’s in Spokane.  She thought we couldn’t afford shoes.  That wasn’t the case.  It was that my mom liked Bergs and felt we could get better shoes there. The store started out as a children’s shoe stores in Spokane, WA in 1932, then branched out into specialty comfort footwear in 1985. So we waited until we got to Spokane to buy our shoes. 

As a grandmother, the way I get ready for the school year is I plan to pray. This year I'm leading another Moms in Prayer group.  We are praying that God will increase the number of moms praying this year. Our schools need God's protection and loving guidance to encourage and build up our education system and to bring out the potential of each child. Ready, set, pray!

I Samuel 2:18 Samuel was ministering before the Lord, a boy clothed with a linen ephod. 

No comments:

Post a Comment