Friday, March 31, 2023

FAVORITE ROOM

 

Davy and Wayne baking cookies

My Girl Scout leader must have made this for me

Years ago, while attending a women's retreat, we were asked to tell about our favorite room in our house --  and why.  Of course mine was my office.  I like to read and write.  For me writing a letter or e-mail is enjoyable.  But the kitchen means work! When I was given a recipe book at 12 years old by my Girl Scout leader I was appalled. Why would I ever need such a thing?  Many years later, after trials and tribulations,  acceptance that good food is necessary for good health, I bowed to the necessity of spending time in the kitchen. It turns out that I can follow a recipe and make descent food. My mom made a terrific lemon meringue pie. My sister could turn out a meal for 6 or 8 easily.  My younger brothers enjoyed baking cookies.  My dad was a good cookie baker and could also make a mean fake Swiss steak with onion soup and hamburger.  Unfortunately my older brother was not good at putting a meal together until he discovered Jimmy Dean sausage egg and cheese microwave  breakfast biscuits. So ability in the kitchen is not available to everyone but most people need to cook at some point.

God gives everyone talents and abilities but He expects us to develop aptitudes in other non natural abilities. Some in our family are not naturally hospitable -- especially me. One book which helped me to become a little more hospitable, and at least offer a drink of water, was Karen Mains book- "Open Heart Open Home"- 
Some are not natural teachers-- but we are instructed in God's word to train up a child and to teach each other.  One book which helped me learn how to deal with some children was "Help! I'm a Parent." Now if I really wanted to become an excellent writer I would intensely study writing. Instead, I just like to "wing it."  It's much more fun!

Philippians 2:4  Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.


Exodus 35:35 He has filled them with skill to do every sort of work ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment