Monday, March 20, 2023

I STILL MISS MY TV BUT MY AIM IS GETTING BETTER

 

Evy, Wayne, and Jay watching the 7" TV -- 1957


My family owned a 7" TV in 1949 or 1950.  TV shows were broadcast starting about then in California. Burbank, where we were living at the time, emerged as center of the entertainment and aircraft industries in the 1940s and the prototypical suburb of the 1950s and 60s. TV shows filmed in Burbank, especially Laugh-In and The Tonight Show liked to ridicule their sleepy hometown. My Brownie Scout troop received tickets to attend the live "Howdy Doody Show." So of course we ended up with a TV in order to watch the show on which our troop appeared.   

Shortly after this we moved to Fairbanks, Alaska.  There was no TV station in Fairbanks. At that time we listened to the radio-- "The Lone Ranger"show was my favorite.

Then in 1952 we moved to Alexandria, VA. We were once again able to receive a TV station.  My favorite show was "Captain Video." My brother, Jay, liked the black and white cartoons. 

My dad, sister, brothers, and I enjoyed watching TV.  My mom preferred reading newspapers and National Geographic magazines.  We think that some of this is genetic.  Before TV my dad's parents would meet in downtown Spokane after work and take in 2 to 3 movies a week. But with the TV program productions they began watching TV at home.  My mother's great aunt and uncle refused to watch TV.  My mother's mother would watch "Lawrence Welk" on Sunday nights.  So some loved TV others avoided it.

But now there are very few TV shows that are decent.  The times and morals have changed.  "Ozzie and Harriet" and "Leave it to Beaver" were wholesome shows.  Now we have had shows like"The Sopranos"which  spawned a hunger for antiheroes: "The Shield," "Damages," "Dexter," "Rescue Me," "Mad Men," "Breaking Bad," "Sons of Anarchy," "The Walking Dead," "Homeland," "House of Cards," portray negative views of life and morals.  It makes me want to remove the TV from the house.  Some families have done so.  Selected videos can be watched on DVD's and uncouth shows can be eliminated.

Each season I watch the new shows and hope there will be something decent to watch.  Unfortunately little by little I make the decision to not watch more and more every year.  So my discernment is getting better.  

Galatians 5:17  For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment