Saturday, August 27, 2022

BOOKS AND HOW I CHOOSE THEM

 

Antique classic books and book ends from my parent's collection.  Photo by Chris.

Many years ago Grandma Isabel saved issues of the PTA Magazine.  In a 1948 edition a list of good children's books was published.  I thought this was a wonderful way to help parents when they were purchasing or checking children's books out of the library.  

When my children were growing up in the 70's I could trust Dr. Seuss, Caldecott, or Newberry Award books to provide enjoyable literature.  But in the 90's I noticed that children's books were taking up themes of cannibalism, adult themes of sexuality, and using foul language. 

What is a parent to do? Book reviews help to weed out bad books and to find good books.  But what parent has time to read a review of every book your child is interested in reading? Well, one could stick to Dr. Seuss, Caldecott Award books or even find bloggers who review books. (Newberry Award books are no longer reliable choices.) I read one blog by a pastor, author and book  reviewer -- Tim Challies-- which is helpful.  There are probably many others. My prayer is that Friends of the Library Parents would start a Facebook page or website where parents could check out what others are saying about the books.  On Breakpoint this week Maria Baer was concerned about a book her daughter had checked out at the library.  She was so alarmed she threw it away.  She will reimburse the library for the book of course.  But in this day and age it is difficult to discern good books. ( A podcast from "The World and Everything in It" was posted today.  Click here to listen to what parents are doing to remove dangerous books from the school library.)

Personally I have been reading all the Christy Award books as I know they will have good themes and no bad language.  

“The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments:

Post a Comment