Thursday, August 18, 2022

I SAW A MOUSE

 

Sinbad, Chris, Daddy Bert, Teddy Bear, Dana 1950.  Photo by Rita.

Wayne, 11 or 12,  and Davy 15 or 16, with Tiger. 

Grandma Grace Belle and Grandpa Roy always had "barn cats" to keep the mice away from the farm. The cats were always kept outside and the dogs inside. Mitzie, the overweight black cocker spaniel, would lounge in front of the wood cook stove.  Grandma would use her foot to slide Mitzie away from the stove so she could get near enough to do some cooking.  I don't recall ever seeing any mice on the farm.

My brother Jay had pet white mice.  They were kept in a cage in the basement of our Virginia home.  Suddenly the cage was overwhelmed with baby mice.  Somehow the cage and mice disappeared.  I heard a rumor that they were sold to a research lab.

 I've never favored mice.  When I saw a gray one race from one side of the grocery isle, and scurry under the nearest cooler, as I was shopping,  I reacted with an ugh and a shudder!  I was in a hurry and kept retrieving needed items.  Can't let a mouse or even an earthquake interfere with my schedule!

Later that day I thought about that mouse and decided to e-mail Fred Meyer.  I received several replies from at least 3 different people.  They thanked me.  The last person instructed me to report any such sightings in person to the store manager.  I hope there will not be a next time. 

So the learned lesson is --"See something; say something."

Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
    fools despise wisdom and instruction.


3 comments:

  1. I remember the mice in the cage. Yes I think Jay did sell them to a research place. The picture of the cat on the post is not Mink (Mink was all black and had a shiny coat). The picture you have is of Tiger. Tiger came after Mink had a tragic end. I must be about 15 or 16 in that picture. Tiger was an amazing cat beyond all others. I will send the full story later, but I hope Wayne can fill in some from his perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK I will change that caption to Tiger. You were only about a year old when Jay had those white mice. That was when we lived in Jefferson Manor.

      Delete
    2. If you were 15 or 16 that picture must have been taken in Redwood City. I think you were Jr. High when you moved from VA to CA.

      Delete