Friday, November 6, 2020

DAN OF THE YEAR

 


John Perkins "Dan of the Year"


When my family moved to northern Virginia in 1952 I was confronted with my prejudice against the south.  My Grandpa Roy said that we were Scotch- Irish- Dutch and Yankee and mostly Yankee.  I was still fighting the Civil War in my mind.  Those who spoke with a southern accent I judged as being ignorant.  ( My youngest brother, Wayne, spoke with a southern accent when he was a toddler.  He certainly isn't ignorant. I refused to say ma'am and sir.) The formality of the south-- wearing hats and gloves for women-- seemed too much bother.   I liked the rough dress of somebody like Annie Oakley. I hated the humidity.  I hated the food-- black eyed peas and all. Don't get me started on okra!  (I do like the greens though.)

But 30 years later I found out that my high school classmates where some of the best people I know.   Nancy Morys Walsh, Carolyn Conway Riley, Carol Beal, Carol Stephens Keefe, Wandra Palmateer Early, Jimmy Weedon, Belle Richey, Charles O' Hare, and many others worked tirelessly to get us all together, and to check up on each other. I found out that many of my classmates were Christians-- Joe Clocker, Buzzy Lloyd, Jeanne Nicholson, and I all made connections.  (I had gone to church camp with Nancy Lukehart in 1958 and kept our connection from then on.)

So today when I saw this "Dan of the Year" article on World Magazine I thought I must pass it on.  I'm no longer fighting the War between the States.  As John Perkins says--  we are just humans loved by God.  Click here to read the article.  God has worked in my life in many ways.  Jesus isn't finished with me yet.  What has Jesus done in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment