Thursday, June 26, 2014

Worship Wars


My older brother, Jay, and I must have been traumatized as kids.  Jay was 15 and I was 13 when our youngest brother, Wayne, was born.  Wayne made child number 5.  At the time our family was living in a 32’ trailer that had no washer or dryer.  Jay and I had to take the dirty diapers to the washhouse, housing several coin-operated washing machines, and wash them.  Then we would haul the wet diapers back to our lot and hang them on the clothesline.  Being the spoiled offspring of the greatest generation we must have had in the back of our minds that we would never be without a washer and dryer of our own again!

As adults this proved true.  Jay made sure that his motor home he bought, and planned to tool around the U.S. in, had a washer and dryer.   Wherever my husband and I moved I checked first for a washer and dryer hook up.  When our boat didn’t have a washer and dryer we hired our laundry washed, dried, and folded.

This behavior may have been genetic, however.  It was my grandmother on my dad’s side who would not marry my grandfather unless he promised her that she would never have to do “wet wash.”  I believe this involves scrubbing the laundry in a washtub and wringing it out by hand.  Subsequently my dad and his brothers had to work to make money to hire the laundry done.

So what is my point in telling this story?  It seems my children, born in the 70’s, like to sing hymns in church, unlike many in their generation.  Could this be genetic or just some trauma in their lives?  Recently, I read this blog about the millenials in Washington D.C. and their choice of attending a church where the church service is formal.  Click on the link to open.


I forwarded that link on to my son and this is what he said. “I think in many places it's just gotten a little bit too much like Starbucks. So millenials are looking for a more "authentic" experience.” 

It appears that the 20 somethings like similar worship services to what people in my generation like.  I think we have something going here!   

18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual  songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord ;”Ephesians 5:18-19





No comments:

Post a Comment