I just finished reading Dr. Ben Carson’s book, “America the Beautiful.” I noticed that his wife, Candy, helped him to write this book. Some of the topics included are the history of our nation, the religion of our nation, capitalism, socialism, morality, learning from our mistakes, health care, a nation divided, liberty and justice for all, what’s good about America, and what do we believe and in whom do we trust. Dr. Carson comes up with many ideas about how we can get out of the healthcare mess, crime mess, national debt mess, and many other plans. Some I had heard before.
Here are a few of the topics that were new to me in the book:
· One way of defeating the terrorists is for the United States to become independent from all foreign oil by drilling and using our own oil. If any country harbors our enemies we sanction them.
· That the Democratic Party Platform is supposedly based on the Beatitudes. 1 When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. 2 He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying, 3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. 5 "Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth. 6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. 7 "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. 8 "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. 9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. 10 "Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 "Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12 "Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. I don’t see the Beatitudes here: http://www.democrats.org/democratic-national-platform
· The original Tea Party began in and around 1775 with the Patriots denial of the problem of taxation without representation, ignoring the problem, resisting the problem, and exempting from the problem, then turning from the problem with transformation, Or DIRECT.
· Likewise the creation of the new Tea Party in 2009 began as a result of passage of the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, the bailout of several major financial agencies, and talk about dramatic reform of the nation’s health care system. Then February 19, 2009, a business news editor on CNBC by the name of Rick Santelli criticized the government for bailing out underwater mortgages: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgJ30bihdy8
· Five physicians signed the Declaration of Independence.
· Carson ignored requests when speaking in various places like Columbine High School or the National Prayer Breakfast to not speak about God or Jesus. He disregarded those requests and spoke of his faith. He was applauded wholeheartedly.
· He had a praying mom who sought wisdom from God.
Dr. Carson is an insightful man of faith. He presents a fair and balanced view of the United States. He encourages all to work hard and overcome their problems by taking responsibility and not making excuses. I wish he were the President of the U.S.!