Friday, July 27, 2012

It's Party Time


I love parties and celebrations.  This is another reason, when I was young, I suspected that I was adopted—nobody else in my family liked partying.  It may have had something to do with everyone in my family being some sort of scientist.  My science IQ is still very low but I excel in tap dancing! 

I recently found a letter my dad had written to his parents when I was about to turn seven.  He related that I was planning my own birthday party.  I vaguely remember stapling together red crepe paper party hats for the event. 

When my husband and I were first married I threw him a surprise birthday party.  He later informed me that he didn’t like surprise parties.  I let him know that I would love a surprise party.  I waited in anticipation each birthday but everyone was traveling in the summer or some such thing.  He tried one year to throw a party for me.  The plan was for all of my relatives to converge on my parent’s northern California home for a party, which he wouldn’t be able to attend, as he had to work.  My cousins were able to make the party in June and my sister could show up in July.  This was a six weeklong birthday party! 

Finally after forty-seven years of marriage he figured it out!  We had a C.S. Lewis night at our church scheduled.  He, along with our pastor’s help, planned to surprise me and everybody else with cake and ice-cream during a break.  We were even more surprised when we found out that one of the ladies attending actually had her birthday on the day of the event!  On Sunday we found out that two more people had July birthdays and so we celebrated with song and more cake and ice-cream from the night before.  Now that is what I call a surprise party!

I love my birthday because every year I’m one year closer to Heaven!  I learned this song from one of my daughter’s friends:

Heaven is a wonderful place
Filled with Glory and Grace.
I want to see my Savior’s face.
Heaven is a wonderful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment