Saturday, October 3, 2026

SPIRITUAL GIFTS AND BLESSINGS

 

Jes 5 years old

Children are amazing. Suddenly, you will discover that they are more capable than you thought. Our son Jes was a quiet child. He was a good listener, and he learned quickly. One Sunday, the children were putting on a Christmas play, and the pastor’s wife chose Jes to have a speaking part. I told her that he probably wouldn’t be able to get up and talk in front of the church. She simply told me to leave it to her.

During the play, Jes calmly stood up and spoke his part with no problem. Of course, I beamed with pride! He went on to use this ability many more times throughout his life.

That experience made me think about how God gives each of us abilities that we may not recognize at first. So, how did Jes develop this talent? I believe that God had given him a spiritual gift. I also believe that God, in the person of the Holy Spirit, helps us and teaches us many things. He is God, and He will lead and guide us if we are willing to listen to His voice. Sometimes He speaks to us through Scripture, sometimes through a friend, and sometimes through what feels like a gentle nudge in our hearts.

I have experienced this kind of guidance in my own life.

Recently, a friend and her husband were moving to a new location and would be passing through our area. She wanted to stop by for a quick visit and then stop to see another friend from our long-ago Moms in Prayer group. The only problem was that the phone number we had for our friend had been disconnected.

I e-mailed her, but there was no reply. I called her son-in-law’s church and left a message asking her to call me, but there was still no response. I finally asked God to help us get in touch with her.

Then, quite suddenly, I remembered that years ago I had called her on FaceTime. I looked at the information I had for her in the address book on my phone and noticed the little FaceTime icon. I pressed it—and it rang. She answered!

I was shocked. How did I reach her using an old phone number that she no longer had? We had a wonderful catch-up visit, and she gave me her new phone number. I passed it along to our other friend, who was then able to call her and make arrangements for them to meet.

I believe the Holy Spirit connected that call somehow.

That is only one of many times when I believe I have experienced the Holy Spirit’s guidance in my life. Looking back, I can see occasions when He protected me from choices that might not have been good for me. There were times when a boyfriend suddenly broke up with me, perhaps saving me from a relationship that was not right for me. Most of the young men I dated treated me with respect and were gentlemen. At another important time in my life, a good friend from church started a Moms group where we studied Help! I’m a Parent by Bruce Narramore. That group became an important part of my life.

I have also seen God’s care in circumstances that were completely beyond my control. Even while sailing on the high seas, our vessel was carried safely into harbors. Looking back over the years, I can see many other instances when God was with us, protecting us, guiding us, and giving us abilities we needed at just the right time.

Perhaps that is one of the things I have learned most clearly as I have grown older: God is always at work, even when we don’t recognize what He is doing at the time. The Holy Spirit can use Scripture, other people, circumstances, and even a simple thought that suddenly comes to mind to guide us. We may not always understand why something happens or where a particular nudge is leading, but we can learn to listen.

But the most important gifts given when one asks Jesus into their heart is--  salvation by God's cleansing of our sins, and being sealed for eternity. 

When I look back at Jes standing in front of the church that Christmas morning, I see more than a shy little boy discovering that he could speak. I see a reminder that God has given each of us gifts and abilities, sometimes before we even know we have them. My prayer is that I will continue to listen for His voice, trust His leading, and recognize His hand in the ordinary—and sometimes extraordinary—events of my life.

Ephesians 1:3  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,

No comments:

Post a Comment