Tuesday, July 21, 2026

THE BEST REUNION IS YET TO COME

 

Jeanne, Stina, Nancy, me

It was forty years later that the four of us were finally reunited. For many years I had been the "lost classmate" until Nancy M. discovered that my parents had been sending her parents Christmas cards every year for four decades. What a delightful surprise it was to reconnect with three dear classmates—Jeanne, Stina, and Nancy L.

Time, however, has a way of reminding us that life is precious. Since our reunion, Stina and then Jeanne have gone. When I spoke with Nancy L. on her 83rd birthday, she firmly informed me that I was not allowed to die. I laughed and assured her that I was "going strong." Not long afterward, though, I received a gentle reminder that perhaps I wasn't quite as invincible as I thought. I had a sudden head rush and, for the first time in my life, it resulted in a fall.

Experiences like that have caused me to think more intentionally about saying goodbye before the time comes. I believe it is a gift to leave our loved ones with words of hope rather than uncertainty. I want my family and friends to know that I am looking forward to a far better place and that my greatest desire is for them to join me there someday. The assurance of that hope rests on the words of Jesus in John 14: "I go to prepare a place for you... I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Life is uncertain, but our hope does not have to be. While we are here on earth, we can rely completely on Jesus. And when our earthly journey is over, we can continue to rely on Him. Those who place their trust in Him need not fear what lies ahead, for He has already prepared the way. That is the confidence I want to leave with those I love—and the hope I pray they will embrace for themselves.

 1 Corinthians 15:51 Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

No comments:

Post a Comment