Thursday, December 14, 2023

MOST MEMORIABLE CHRISTMAS GIFT

 

Me with our new swing set 1947

I remember the fun my brother Jay and I had one Christmas morning when we followed a string from our Christmas tree out to our backyard.  We were delighted with a new swing set complete with a slide and climbing bars.   The playset was my favorite gift of all time as I could climb and swing as much as I desired. I was able to "fly-away.” Apparently I had also received a new blanket as seen in the picture.  I can imagine the softness on my face.


For some, gift giving comes naturally.  My Aunt Jeanne was an expert at finding just the right gift.  For others like me we struggle to stay within our budget and yet choose presents that will please others. I have two whammys against me.  First I deal with chronic pain every day and dread the pain shopping will bring me.  Second I'm cheap and don't have a clue as to what would be received, appreciated and be within my budget.  


But shopping for some people is made easier if they are clear on what they like. For instance, shopping for my Grandma Isabel, in her later years, was easy.  She asked for gifts that would be consumable. One year I bought her a 5 lb box of mandarin oranges.  She ate so many of them she developed canker sores. But she did appreciate my gift.


But the greatest gift is Jesus who gifted Himself to us this Christmas and through all time-- Ephesians 2:8  "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God..."


What was your most memorable Christmas gift?  What gift you gave pleased others the most?  


As for my favorite gift of all time I'm reminded of one of my favorite poems "The Swing"  written by Robert Louis Stevenson:




How do you like to go up in a swing,
   Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
   Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
   Till I can see so wide,
Rivers and trees and cattle and all
   Over the countryside—

Till I look down on the garden green,
   Down on the roof so brown—
Up in the air I go flying again,
   Up in the air and down!
Granddaughter Natalie. 2012 Photo by Chris. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment