Wednesday, January 18, 2023

THE LINES HAVE FALLEN FOR ME IN PLEASANT PLACES

 

Internet photo

Back in the 60's I had fallen prey to the lies of Hollywood.  The "Circes" screamed -- "Women should have careers; not marriage and children."  Movies and books confirmed this.  My own experience of trying to help my mother made this clear for me.   Marriage and children were too hard.  It was a never ending pile of laundry, dishes, and wild kids.

Now, I have learned that 80% of women want to get married and to have children.  Something in their makeup causes them to hear their "biological" clock ticking. Some, even as young girls, plan their weddings. 

When suddenly, in our senior year of college, Chris and I decided to make our relationship "more permanent," I had no idea what I would even want for a wedding. It turned out that I was a very "cheap" person and wanted to spend no money. I borrowed a wedding dress from my sorority sister, Connie; and bought the cheapest flowers--daisies( which turned out to be the sorority's "flower." They stand for beauty, love, and cheerfulness.)  My aunt Jeanne graciously offered to make the bridesmaid dresses for my sister, Evy, and cousin, Janet. My cousin Diana was the flower girl.  I believe she wore a dress she already owned. Somehow flowers appeared in the sanctuary -- I think my mom ordered them. 


Photo by Dan Zimmerman

The reception was in the church basement. Along with the cake and punch we had mints and nuts.  

But God used marriage, children, and chronic pain to turn me to Himself. And now I can see what He has done. 

Psalm 16: 5 The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

No comments:

Post a Comment