Wednesday, December 7, 2022

I LIED

 

Library of Congress reading room


I could never run for office.  My past would catch up with me. OK, I confess;  I'm guilty of lying to the guard at the Library of Congress, and then, after I was married, to forging my husbands signature.

The story is this--   When I was in high school my best friend, Nancy, suggested we go to the Library of Congress in Washington D.C. to do research for our term papers.  She had been there with her older sister and had been admitted to the venerable library.  Back in those days one must be a high school graduate or 18 years old to gain entrance. Now they have changed the age to 16.   It was our senior year at Groveton High school. My friend Nancy and I would not turn 18 until after graduation. Nancy didn't see any problem -- but after a bus ride from Alexandria and a walk along what seemed like miles to the library the guard at the entrance asked for proof that we were 18 or high school graduates.  I lied and said that I had left my ID at home and I didn't have a drivers license.  I don't remember what Nancy said.  The guard let us in.  

Then when dealing with depositing checks made out to Chris into the bank or credit union, I just signed his name and made the deposit.  He never seemed to have time to do it himself.  So I'm a forger also.

What made me think about libraries and lying was that in my day certain books, only suitable for those 18 or over, were kept behind the librarians desk.  One must request them.  Some tried to lie.  Now those books have gone mainstream and are available to anyone including children.  There is a divide in thinking on this.  Some parents want to supervise what their children read.  There are a few books that are helpful for those parents. Here is a podcast describing what is available.

It is true that all have sinned--including me.

Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,




No comments:

Post a Comment