Sunday, February 6, 2022

TAKE HEART

 

Photo by Chris

Just finished reading another historical novel by Cathy Gohike.  Talk about intense!  But one thing I can say in favor of her books is that she offers good prayers that we can pray while the peacemakers of this world are seeking peace and pursuing it. Throughout Gohike's book "The Medallion" the theme was "When there is no way God will make a way." We can take heart  from this.

The above picture of small books are classics which belonged to my parents.  The book ends also belonged to them.  I don't know the story behind the books or the book ends.  

Reading good books is a way we can seek encouragement. My mom always read to us and my dad wrote bedtime stories for us.  One time when I was five,  Jay was seven, and Evy was one, we were sitting on our parents bed in our home in Burbank, CA, while our mom read to us.  It may have been this book-



Mom accused us when she said, "You kids stop jiggling this bed."  We were shocked as we weren't jiggling the bed.  (We found out later it was an earthquake.) One time when Jennifer, my niece, was 8, I told her to get ready for bed, and I would read her a book.  She got ready in a hurry and was a most attentive listener.   Jen was reading newspapers copying her mom when she was only two.  If I find a photo of her reading a newspaper I will add it later. So our whole family has carried that tradition of reading forward. 


Heather photo by Chris


Jes and friend Andrea photo by Chris


Natalie photo by Bobbi

Jes and Noah reading engineering material-- photo by Jessica

The greatest book ever written is the Bible.  Now we have paraphrases, many translations, and different study Bibles.  God's Word is the ultimate boost to our souls.  What books have inspired you lately?

Psalm 119:165 Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble.









No comments:

Post a Comment