Friday, September 4, 2020

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001


Where were you on September 11, 2001?  I had just attended my Groveton High School class of 1961 reunion back in Virginia.  Of the classmates pictured above two of them have passed away since that reunion.  I have kept in touch with several others.  We had concluded that reunion on Sunday, September 9.  Many had headed for home.  My husband, Chris, and I were staying in Alexandria and had planned to go into Washington D.C. and do some sight seeing with our friends Nancy Lukehart and Charlie Pavey.  We managed to take in the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum on Monday the 10th.  On Tuesday the 11th we hoped on the train to head in to DC.  Suddenly someone said to somebody on their phone, "I can't believe they bombed the Pentagon."  We looked in that direction and saw the black smoke.  We looked at each other and said, "Today is not a good day to go into the city."  We got off at the next stop and headed back to Alexandria.  


Enjoying a meal with Nancy and Charlie

To make a long story short we were trapped in Alexandria until Saturday before we could get a flight back to Seattle on the day of my cousin Heather's wedding at Ft. Lewis.  We arrived just in time for the wedding.  Chris and our daughter Heather took the pictures. 
Heather and her dad

I found out later that I have two cousins where were born on September 11.  I will never forget their birthdays again.


Laurie has a September 11 birthday

Diana has a September 11 birthday


James 4:13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— 14 yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.

2 comments:

  1. I did not know you were so close to where it all happened on that day. Wow! Also that you have another cousin with the same birthday. Crazy! I know I will never forget where I was and how I heard. I am thankful for each year of life God gives me, but at least so far, I have to "celebrate" my birthday on a separate day. That day is still too sobbering for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie felt the same way. We celebrated her birthday in October with Chris and 2 other cousins who had October birthdays.

      Delete