Monday, October 21, 2019

WOMAN TO WOMAN

Mom 1957

In the Christian religion we are told in God's word, the Bible, that the older women should teach the younger women.  Fortunately, I had a mom who was a Christian.  She taught me everything she knew up until I left home at 18.  Because I moved 3000 miles away from home it was too difficult to go to my mom for advice. So God put some incredible women into my life.

The second Christian woman who had an impact on my life was Evelyn Christenson.  She came to Spokane to lead a Sunday School teacher work shop.  She had us form groups of 3 or 4.  Then she instructed us to go around our circle and say a one sentence prayer.  I had never prayed out loud before but I did manage one sentence.  



BSF luncheon

Next I joined Bible Study Fellowship and had many wonderful group leaders pour into me. I was asked every year to lead a group but I turned that opportunity down because it required a commitment of 2 days a week. Dealing with my chronic pain would make that too difficult. 



College and career Moms in Prayer

A few years later Fern Nichols started "Moms in Touch", now "Mom's in Prayer," a group who prays for their children and schools. I joined a group and I learned to pray Bible verses back to God and to pray of one accord.  One mom would pray about something on her heart and anyone else who has something put on her heart by the Holy Spirit would pray about the same subject.  My prayer life grew by leaps and bounds.

After attending a women's retreat and meeting with the speaker one on one, she recommended that I work through Myrna Alexander's book, "Behold Your God." In studying the attributes of God all problems tend to grow smaller in the light of the greatness of God.


Nan and Heather 1994

The next mentor I had was Nan.  Her husband was a close friend of my dad's.  His mother was my dad's first Sunday School teacher. Nan was about 15 years older than me.  Even though we weren't living in the same town I could call her and opine my troubles to her.  She was empathetic and a woman of prayer. 


2004

Then we moved again and began attending the church we had been members of years before.  Two of the older women had started a prayer group to pray once a week for one hour for our families, church, the government, and many other topics.  I joined and loved praying with them.  After each move to a new church I followed their example.



Kay 2012

When we began attending a different church I met Kay.  She was 92 and still going strong.  I asked her if she would pray with me every week.  We prayed together for 6 years.  Kay invited me to attend Precept Bible study with her.  A move was necessary so I lost that connection. 

At my new church I signed up for Precept Bible study.    The class had some of the most Spirit filled and intelligent women I have ever met in a Bible study.  

But I longed for a group of ladies to pray with.  It seemed difficult to do in a big church.  It was then that I signed up to mentor a young woman who wanted to be mentored through our church's mentoring program.  God had nudged me out of the receiving group and into the giving group.  I was very nervous but I figured somehow God could take what I gummed up and make it work for good.  I committed to one hour a week which I thought I could manage and not cause my chronic pain to flare up.



Me with Deb

So I met Deb 6 months ago at a dessert meeting. Through all her problems she has learned the same thing that I have learned--there is no where else to go but to Jesus.  Only He has the words of life!  So after talking to Deb, and hearing her concerns, I recommended that we work through, "Behold Your God."  The process has seemed slow to me as we have only gotten through 1/2 of the book.  But looking back on all the years I have had mentors nurture me I shouldn't be impatient.  So we will keep working through the workbook and God will keep growing both of us to become the women of God He wants us to be.

Proverbs 31: 28 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:

No comments:

Post a Comment