Friday, October 4, 2019

BETRAYED AND ABANDONED


I wonder if everyone believes that they were born at an inoppertune time? I believed that my summer birthday was the worst time to be born.  My family was usually on vacation or traveling cross country to visit relatives.  I remember visiting Abraham Lincoln's home in Springfield, Ill. when I was just turning 12.  We were on our way to visit relatives in Spokane. My mom picked up a pen with a feather on the end at the gift shop and handed it to me over the back seat of the car as we sped down the highway.  At least she had acknowledged my birthday!

But when my daughter was 15, my son was 9, and my husband was working long hours I awoke the day of my birthday to see nothing going on.  No cake was being baked.  When my daughter told me she was taking her friend out to lunch at Taco Time I objected.  "It's my birthday," I said.  It made no difference to her.  She left.  My son was playing with legos and didn't notice anything was amiss.

As a result I was feeling sorry for my self.  I pulled down the shades and crashed on the couch.  When my daughter came home she was shocked to see me in this condition as I was usually busy most days.

When my husband arrived home from work he was amazed that there was no dinner ready.  I said, "It's my birthday and I'm waiting for my cake." He went into the kitchen and baked me a cake!  

From then on my daughter always made sure I had a cake for my birthday.  Years later, when we were living on our boat in Roch Harbor in the San Juan Islands, she drove up and baked me a cake on the boat.  My husband had them announce over the loudspeaker during the evening announcements that I was turning 29 on the 29th. ( I have instructed my family that I turn 29 on the 29th every year.)

These feelings are nothing compared to what Jesus suffered when He was betrayed by Judas and abandoned by all the disciples, even Peter.  But God had a marvelous plan.  I remind my self about this when I'm feeling abandoned and betrayed.  One verse I cling to is Psalm 37:8-9-- 


    Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.
For the evildoers shall be cut off,
    but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land.


If I continue to live steadfastly before the Lord some day He will make everything beautiful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment