Friday, July 5, 2019

NO FEAR

Nanci and Randy Alcorn

When I was young I enjoyed watching Alfred Hitchcock's movies, "Twilight Zone" TV shows, and other scary shows like "Night Gallery."  But as I've grown older -- either I'm more sensitive, or I have suffered some sort of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Back in 1994 my nerves were steady enough to read thrillers such as "Piercing the Darkness" by Frank Peretti.  I then discovered Randy Alcorn, author of "Deadline."  

After reading all of Alcorn's thrillers I began reading his non-fiction books.  The first one I read was "Heaven."  It gave me food for thought.  Then I heard that he was working for minimum wage and giving away all of his royalties from his books.  I had often wondered about the story behind it.  In this blog he tells what happened.

Then, a few years ago I read Jared Wilson's thriller -- "Otherworld." This confirmed my conclusion.  I can no longer deal with thrillers.  

In the last few years I now read novels with young women protagonists set in the time periods from the 1890s up to the 1940s.  

I like authors:

Lynn Austin, 
Roseanna White, 
Tamera Alexander, 
Sarah Ladd, 
and several others.

I have hope that some day I will be able to read those supernatural books again.  I skipped all of Lis Wiehl's "otherworldly" books for now. 

Randy and Nanci Alcorn knew they had nothing of which to be afraid.  They had hope in God. So in spite of my limitations, I have learned from their example.  There is really nothing in this world, or the next, to fear, for those who put their trust in Jesus.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment