Wednesday, October 18, 2017

THEY CALL ME BILLY BOB

Davy and Jay in 1954.  I recall telling Jay to comb his hair.

It was two years after Chris and I married that Chris told me that I didn't know why I believed what I believed.  He also said he didn't believe what I believed.  This challenged me.  I began to study the Bible.  My parents bought two Bibles for me.  First I read through a paraphrase of the Bible called "The Living Bible."   Second, I used the New International Version of the Bible to study for my class in Bible Study Fellowship. 

Jay babysitting Davy.

Shortly after that Chris nicknamed me Billy Bob after Billy Graham because I preached so much.  I began to recollect that I had preached to my brothers as well.  

Me babysitting Davy

First I told Jay to comb his hair. Then I told Davy not to kick people in the back of the head when doing headstands in the back seat of the car.  Then there was the time when I was fifteen and Wayne was two.  He refused to eat his peas.  I told him that there were children in Africa starving as they had no peas to eat.  He cried and left the table.  Many years later he became a missionary to Africa.  He taught Jr. High students how to plant gardens.  



Evy babysitting Davy

 Evy babysitting Wayne and Davy



 Davy babysitting Wayne


Me babysitting Wayne and Davy

If you ask me now I can tell you why I believe what I believe!

 Jay supervising Davy



2 comments:

  1. And what do you believe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I believe that God has revealed Himself to us in creation, and that He is powerful enough to preserve His word to us in the Bible, that what the Bible says is true. John 3:16 says “For God so loved the world,[a] that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." I believe that I have eternal life because I believe in Jesus!

      Delete