Thursday, August 29, 2019

SHARE YOUR MASTER'S JOY!



She finished well--my friend Kay.  She would have been 98 in September.  I've lost my prayer partner of six years.  They tell me that I'm the next Kay.  Only problem is I can't find another me.  We were committed to prayer.  The reason being that we were no longer able to serve in any physical duties in the church  such as kitchen, children's program, musical ministry, women's ministry, and many others.  We were the twins-- attending Bible study, church, and praying together every week.  God has a way of removing someone from your life so that you will depend on Him and not anyone else.  He is moving me on to other things.  

Many of Kay's friends from Martha Lake Covenant church showed up for Kay's memorial this last Saturday.  We were thrilled to see the new flooring, large vegetable garden, and remodeling taking place.  Our former pastor, Bill, preached the perfect sermon. Another church was planted in our building and continued to rent to the Seventh Day Adventist church and several others.  And now we have seen what God has done! Here is what I wrote when MLCC closed several years ago.  

*****


Today I feel as if I have been put through a meat grinder.  Not only am I physically wiped out I'm also emotionally drained.  The reason is that another evangelical church has been returned to dust.  The good people of Martha Lake Covenant church put their minds, souls, and bodies, in to keeping the church and the Awana program alive.  But yesterday, after 70 years of faithful ministry, the church was disbanded--each member to go their own way.  

Vanity. Vanity it is all vanity I remember from Solomon's lament in the book of Ecclesiastes.  God didn’t agree with my vision for the church.  For six years my prayer partner, Kay, and I prayed every Tuesday for our families, the church, our country and the world.  I thought God would bring to us Christian refugees from countries where Christians are persecuted.  We were encouraged when one man, who had moved to the United States 20 years ago from Iran, joined us.  Others thought that after the condos were built across the street from the church that those people would join.  We served free food.  We had “Narnia” nights.  We offered free concerts.  We had some visitors but few stayed.  We put new carpeting and paint in the nursery.  We sent post cards.  I don’t remember what all.  With the Awana program and the Vacation Bible Schools we had good attendance but not many came back on Sunday. 

God has different plans and higher plans than we do.  Maybe what God had in mind for us was just being faithful for a time, to learn perseverance, or even to learn how to suffer for Christ.

I was encouraged by Pastor Bill’s final sermon.  He exhorted us to go out and make disciples, baptize, and teach.  This is how we live a life of significance.  He also gave us an encouraging quote from C.S. Lewis--"now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.” C.S. Lewis, The Last Battle.

We may morn and weep for a while but joy comes in the morning.  Some day God will show us how our prayers and good works have made a difference in many lives. 

*****

And we saw it on Saturday with over 130 attending the service to support Kay's family and to celebrate her life.  Jesus is alive! By the power of the Holy Spirit He will achieve everything He has promised. Here are some pictures Chris shot during our anniversary celebration for MLCC a few years ago.  Click Here to see the link to Kay's obit in case you haven't seen it.


Kay and me














































Matthew 25:23  His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’

No comments:

Post a Comment